Monday, January 16, 2006

prayer

I've decided in the next couple of months to read through the bible reading down any places where someone prays or talks to God. As I've been going through the book of Genesis, I was surprised at how little talking there was to God. But there was tons of communication as God was continually talking to the men and women throughout. God would tell them something, and usually they would build an altar and respond in simply praising Him for who He is. Most of the time when they're recorded speaking to God, it's in response to a question from God.

What a contrast to how I usually approach a prayer time. Most of the time I come filled with words and requests, yet God wants to do most of the talking. But I can't hear Him, because I'm too loud. It was surprising for me to see this in the beginning of my study, but really good, because it's changing a lot of the way I think about prayer...

No comments: