Friday, August 31, 2007

Raiatea

The third island we went to was Raiatea. The following pictures are from a lagoon sunset cruise we went on.
My mom and I. And people wonder where I get my facial expressions from!





The island in the distance is Bora Bora

Perfect surfing waves that day! We stayed out there and watched some surfers! It was pretty sweet.


Oyster hut and Bora Bora in the background, as well as lots of water, fish, coral and sharks!

We did a 4x4 through the middle of the island and also stopped at a vaniall plantation which was quite interesting.






This kid was standing on the pile of gravel crying really loudly. It was kind of funny though, because he was pretty much by himself and was really really loud.


The rim of the volcano on the island



Vanilla plants!
House by the ocean




An old Marae, which is where human sacrifices used to take place.









View up the coconut tree
There are wild chickens everywhere and a lot of little chicks too. These guys were having a little feast on the smashed melons that were on the ground.



Vanilla bean plant demonstration

Crazy flower

Church in the distance. Protestant Churches are the main religion of most of the islands. I would have thought Catholocism, because the islands are governed by France, but I guess the Protestants were the first missionaries, so they have churches everywhere.


Drying coconuts

4 comments:

Becky said...

absolutely beautiful photos!! Maybe you should consider being a National Geographic photo journalist! Oh, how about just journalist ~ you can write well too!! Our summers seemed to be similar only in business ~ were you ever at home? I don't think I was much either! I hope that you can slow down a bit! You are going back to school, right?

Theresa said...

That is one of the funniest pic's I've seen in a long time - you and your mom!!! LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

hi vanessa, my name is charlotte and i am from winnipeg. you have beautiful pictures..........sooooo i was just scrolling down and low and behold i came upon the pictures of the "three sisters" and your great uncle peter. what a small world, they happen to live around the corner from me in winnipeg and i have had one of the other sisters come to me for a massage. it is the one right next to helen, i'm just not sure if it is marie or elizabeth. you never know who you are going to find in blog land...lol. i love the pics you have a real talent for photos.

Anonymous said...

oh yes i linked on to your blog through lovellas. i found her through a paska recipe and her best friend happens to be my nephew mother inlaw. see what i mean about blog land.....:o)