Wednesday, January 10, 2007

For My Dad


It's crazy to think that tomorrow it will have been four years since my dad died. I have been thinking about him a lot lately with Christmas, the anniversarry of his death and his upcoming birthday and just thought I'd write a few thoughts and memories down.

At my grad in 2002


Whenever it snows, I think of when we were little. My dad would always tie a rope to the back of his truck and pull us on the tobaggan. Probably wasn't the safest thing downhill, but it was always our favorite thing to do when it snowed!

Bedtime Stories

Two or three times a year we used to drive down to Palm Springs. In the pool there and at home, we would always see how many of us could pile on top of my dad to make a tower. I think one time there were three of us total! We would always beg him to throw us in the air off of his shoulders as well.

My dad left a legacy in many different ways. In starting numerous building projects all around Abbotsford and Vancouver, in his generous lifestyle as he freely gave to those. I am thankful for the times that he and I had together, especially in the year and a half before he died. There were long and meaningful talks as well as sharing and I am so thankful I got that before he died. Some days I miss him like crazy and there are still times when I want to call him and tell him some exciting news. I am excited for the day I get to see him and Leon again and until then, they will live on in my heart!

Thank you Lord for my dad and that I was blessed to have him as a father for the time that I did. Although life was not always perfect, I am thankful for the good and bad times, because they brought me closer to you and helped me to understand life more.

4 comments:

Kristal Sawyer said...

Thanks for sharing the thoughts and pictures with us Vanessa.

Heaven'll just be great, won't it???!!!??? =)

Lovella ♥ said...

When I was little, I would think that I would be afraid to go to Heaven because I wouldn't know anyone but as the years go by and I've matured I have of course realized that my reason for looking forward to Heaven is to see Jesus, but I also look forward to those who I have loved and have had to say good-bye to.

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, thanks for sharing these precious and personal thoughts with us. I pray that our heavenly Father will bless you for your grateful spirit and give you His peace as you trust Him.

timidvenus said...

you are a lucky girl to have such an array of memories of your dad. it is nice that you share it with us. and it was nice to see leon in the photos as well. he sure was a great guy. i have some pics of him still, and just about every one of them he has some sort of goofy face and it makes me laugh.