Friday, September 30, 2005

the best friendship

Often I forget the amazing truth that God wants to be my friend. Too often I leave Him to be the One who hears me when I pray, who puts everything together, who is sovereign and over all creation. But I forget how much God loves me and desires friendship with me. Yet how often do I put into that friendship? Too often it's one-sided and I never stop to listen to everything He has to say to me. As I've been stopping these last few days, it's been incredible.

When we're with people, we often ask questions to get to know them or perhaps get to know how to relate to them. I'm reading a book right now and it suggests a few friendship questions we should ask God. So I encourage you to take the time and ask God these questions and wait on Him to hear what He has to say back. You may be surprised.

-What's grieving you these days? Why?
-What's exciting you these days? Why?
-What do you like about me? Why?
-What do you see when you look at me?
-When was the last time you wept over me? Why?
-When was the last time you laughed over me? Why?
-If you could meet me anywhere face-to-face, where would it be?
-If my heart is your home, what does that home look like?
-If you could play a game with me, what would it be? Why?

Don't discard the things that come into your head as imagination, because God speaks! We just need to take the time to listen. So go, take that time.

No comments: