Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Struggle to buy Soap...

My friend Lindie and I have started a yearly tradition of going down to the States right after Thanksgiving in order to get the amazing sales they have! So she flew out from Calgary to go shopping (maybe she came to see me too!) We like buying soap and lotion at bath and body works. Not that big of a deal.. except yesterday it started snowing lots here and today it continued.

So here we were determined Canadians going into the States surounded by an onslaught of people desperately trying to get home before the weather got worse. We were innocently on a trek to buy some soap! The border guy thought lindie was a bit crazy for coming all the way from calgary to go shopping at bellis fair, but he was right, we are crazy!! haha!!

So we arrived after quite a long trek (mostly because drivers in the snow here go 10km/hr. I guess visibility was horrible and you couldn't see anything either, but that's a side note..

We wandered around the mall after buying our soaps (5 for 10 dollars-steal of a deal!!). And by soap I mean not the bars but rather the nice bottles.. We bought some other stuff from all the 50% off sales and listened to all the people worried about the weather conditions and how long it would take for them to get to their homes which were fairly close.

So after some nice shopping and a good lunch we decided it was time to go. I think it was about five at this point and i had five people call me asking me where i was and telling me not to drive down to the states cuz the roads were bad (too bad i was already there). So we started driving and it was good....

until we turned onto the wrong road (which wasn't properly plowed) and the bottom of my car kept hitting the snow like crazy until finally we got stuck. So here we were in the states in the middle of nowhere in farm country stuck on double ditch road (comforting name for a road to be on when surrounded by over a foot of snow..)

so after a while of me freezing and pushing the car while lindie gunned it, we were no further than before... then two nice young fellas came and were like "where ya going?" anyway, they said "well, go whatever way you want and we'll push you there" so they gave us a little push and on we went back to the main road.

so we made it back after a trip and i had to get out and push the car up a few hills on the way to my house which only added to the excitement (and the wet pants, shoes and socks).

But we are home and have lots and lots of soap!!

And school is cancelled for tomorrow so this story couldn't have ended on a better note!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Bath & Body Works Soap too! It is almost worth the drive. I look forward to seeing some pictures!

Anonymous said...

I rejoice in your school closure. ooo bath and body works, my favorite is "white tea and ginger".

Anonymous said...

glad you made it home safely - i was a little worried about you guys - did you buy me any soap?
How long did it take you to get home?

Kaeli said...

Haha. Sounds like you had an interesting day. I'm glad you made it home okay.

Jaydes said...

hey, i bought soap too! The 5 for 10$ deal was a steal! I also went to Victoria's Secret and bought bras. I bought 6 in fact because I could get a tote bag with goodies inside for each bra I bought. Long live Black Tuesday! It was my first one, but it makes living in the States a lot easier.