Sunday, January 28, 2007

More Thoughts

Brooke and I at the Canucks game on friday night. I never ever take pics at the game, so I figured I would this time and it was kind of fun! We even got on the big screen twice!!



Every time Robbie, Rob and i are working together it seems like the fountain in the fish pond always needs fixing. Because Rob has long arms and legs he always gets the job. This time I had my camera so I thought I would document the occasion. I am waiting for the day that he falls in!

Thanks for the thoughts on the last post. As to what I think about being a "deep person." Well, I definitely agree that there are varying levels and types. I think what we are lacking nowadays is stopping and actually thinking about what is going on around us. We kind of just take things as they come and do things even without thinking about the why or the what.
The other night at the hockey game there were two young girls sitting next to me. I wasn't sure how old they were, but they looked like they were about fifteen or so. They were late coming in and had skin tight pants on had safety pinned their shirts up a little higher and had written vancouver canucks on their waists. They had solid green makeup on that didn't look so great and they were just really not pleasant to be sitting beside (yelling "come on boys" every minute in not so sweet voices and getting out of the row every ten minutes). They had stuffed their bras a LOT and you could tell because it was all rumply (which i thought was pretty hilarious). Anyway, as I sat beside them, my heart broke for them. Here are these young girls that didn't really seem to find themselves that valuable (you could also tell this by their conversation) and they were looking for attention in the wrong ways. I really just wanted to turn to them and tell them that they were valuable and loved. Just set me to thinking about our society today and what we are telling girls in particular. The message that seems to go out is that your personal worth is found in your physical features, so be sure to flaunt it and display it for those around you to see. And this doesn't help the guys at all either who can be easily distracted by this and it all leads to other problems. Many young people are becoming products of our society today and it breaks my heart. The question to myself is, what am I doing about it? Sadly, nothing.

3 comments:

Haylee said...

I came across your blog because i was on Lovella's. I know Lovella because my sister married her son. Anyways once i was on your blog i realized that i graduated with you! that's so funny! I was new to MEI so i was only there for grade 12 but just show's you that it's a small world. Oh my name is Haylee Noel but before i was married it was Haylee Schroeder.

Lovella ♥ said...

Vanessa, funny that I should read your blog and comment right after Haylee, . .anyways, I was just cleaning out a drawer with my kids school memorabalia and I came across a art publication called Window to our souls. I found a poem that you wrote called The Courage of the Sun. Do you still have it? I just finished reading your comment on Becky's blog and I thought about how "beautifully" you expressed yourself in this poem.
I don't really know you personally but I've heard wonderful things about you and it is evident in your care and passion for others.
PS post the poem with the next gorgeous sunrise.

Becky said...

Vanessa, you ask what you are doing about it, and then respond, "Sadly, nothing". It really isn't about doing, as much as we feel that fixing a solution is the appropriate method. If there was an action that would change their narrow, and sometimes negative views of themselves, we would all be "doing" it. I see it all the time as a High School teacher, and I would love to shake their little blonde heads, throw decent clothes on them and tell them they are valued, now get with the program! But I bite my tongue:). Much to my disbelief, they don't want that. :) So, what do we do? We be. We listen; we share the joy of security and its source; and we wait with love and understanding. I really believe that it is the Holy Spirit that answers their heart cries, and we are just there at the right time and place. Sometimes, its exactly how you want it to be, and other times its longer. Its the being who God called you to be, and then listen to His voice, and get out of the comfort zone. You are right, there are far too many girls seeking the attention that has life long consequences. They need people to just be real, and see through their black eyeliner, tight skirts and low shirts.

I actually think that you are "doing" wonderfully at it. Your sincerity, humour, and intelligence, come across very clearly. You have a heart for people, always have! Keep being, Vanessa! I am sure those girls noticed you having fun at the hockey game, eventhough you weren't there modeling the latest Vogue fashion!

Ever thought of volunteering time at the youth drop-in or Salvation Army, or how about tutoring at our school for some poor Grade 9 girl and all her insecurities? Just some thoughts incase you needed to be doing something. :)

Thanks for posting! I love rambling!