Wednesday, January 24, 2007

tuesday

Tuesday morning I woke up and just about went back to bed thinking that it was Friday and it was my day to sleep in! Luckily I came to my senses and realized that it was only Tuesday! After school, my sister-in-law Bobbi and I hung out for the day. We went for dinner at Milestone's. We were pretty excited about something we were talking about, and it was really funny, because the waitress kept being like "wow, I've never seen anyone so excited to be eating. When was the last time you guys ate?" Maybe she thought we were wolfing down our food.. haha.. I thought we were just enjoying dinner and each other's company!! Oh well! Then we were meeting Ben and Kari to go to a comedy show. Once we got there, we realized that they had got the wrong date and the show had actually been on Monday! So we went out for coffee instead! Then Bobbi and I hung out in the hot tub and then ate some frozen berries and hung out. Late night, but it really was quite a fun afternoon and evening. In the last while I haven't spent an incredible amount of time with my family just because it's been so busy, but I am starting to make it more of a priority and it is an incredible blessing to me!

This is Chad and Bobbi's puppy, Teega-so cute!

And to end this post, here is a quote I read this morning in one of my textbooks. Nicholas Wolerstorff talks about it in his book:
"It is my conviction that the church, and humanity at large, neglects inwardness at its own peril. And when I speak of inwardness I do not just mean motivation for scoail action alogn with the beliefs that undergird it. I mean contemplation. I mean the cultivation of what in some traditions is called spirituality, and in others, piety. It seems to me that amidst its intense activism, the Western world is starved for contemplation. Likewise it seems to me that the unmistakable witness of the Scriptures is that where genuine piety or spirituality is missing, there life as a whole is deeply wounded. Contemplation, spirituality, piety-these in my judgment themselves belong to authentic shalom, with influence radiating throughout the whole of our existence."

And then Richard Foster says in his book 'Celebration of Discipline', "Superficiality is the curse of our age. The doctrine of instant satisfaction is a primary spiritual problem. The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people."
Interesting thoughts and reminders for me. What do you think?

2 comments:

Becky said...

How to become "a deep person"? That is the question that is fearsome to ask. Once asked, you really should respond, not ignore the answer. Too few of us really want to take the time, and effort to think, ponder, mull, or reflect when there are so many tantalizing stimuli just waiting for us. At times, I take pleasure in thinking that I may be "a deep person" but then it becomes a question of relativity. What is deep to one, may be shallow to another, and visa versa. This person desires more definition of the possiblility of meanings for "a deep person" before committing to it. Is the author refering to deferred rewards? or philisophical thoughts? or actions of self sacrifice for the bettering of those less gifted? These are decisively different idologies but all rewarding on their own merit. Deffered rewards, insinuating the effort of a goal is within reach but a further stretch is required; a long term action. Philisophical thoughts take time, discussion, attempts at viewing more than one perspective; while the whole time standing still until a direction may be decided. Self-sacrifice does not need a plethora of thought or time. I would hope that our generation does not succumb to the instant materialism pervading our nation but rather seeks the long term good of humanity. I am afraid the later is less persued.

There, you have what I think, I think. :) what do you think?

Oh, I think that you are doing wonderfully by investing more towards family and friends! Sounds not only fun, but also satisfying, and rewarding! Okay, it actually sounds like you are "a deep person"!

Lovella ♥ said...

hmm, well, at the risk of sounding unintelligent, I'd like to say it plainly, yes, I certainly get caught up in the material and then thankfully God shows me something that stops me in my tracks and brings me back to the reality that really without Him I am in deep need.

Tell Bobbi I love her puppy. Lap dog?