Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Embracing Death


This past summer, my thoughts have been on the whole notion of death. It started in June when I took a summer class where it was suggested that one is unable to fully live until one can embrace death. By embracing death, one is embracing life. And what one fears in death is truly what one fears in life. Interesting concept that I have never thought much. Funny because it came up in three of my summer classes this summer and my thoughts have been on it. Then in July, I read the book "Tuesdays with Morrie" which is a true story about a man who visits his dying professor every Tuesday. It is a book about embracing death and what comes with it in order to live more fully. Here are a few quotes from the book about dying and about experiecing emotions associated with death/life that I have thought about much:

"Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live."

"By throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way, over your head even, you experience them fully and completely. You know what pain is. You know what love is. You know what grief is. And only then can you say, 'All right. I have experienced that emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now I need to detach from that emotion for a moment."

"Turn on the faucet. Wash yourself with emotion. It won't hurt you. It will only help. If you let the fear inside, if you pull it on like a familiar shirt, then you can say to yourself, 'All right, it's just fear, I dont' have to let it control me. I see it for what it is."

"It is impossible for the old not to envy the young. But the issue is to accept who you are and revel in that... You have to find what's good and true and beautiful in your life as it is now. Looking back makes you competitive. And age is not a competitive issue. The truth is, part of me is every age... I've been through all of them, and I know what it's like. I delight in being a child when it's appropriate to be a child. I delight in being a wise old man when it's appropriate to be a wise old man. think of all I can be! I am every age, up to my own..."

There were many other good snippets that I came across, and perhaps it doesnt' mean the same not having read the whole book, but it's good food for though for me. My question that I have often asked myself is what does it look like for me to embrace death? And how is my hesitancy towards it stopping me from living fully?

I fear losing people I love, because it hurts a lot and I fear that pain. So, as a result, I do not let myself be fully known and try not to get too close. Sure, it might not hurt so much later, but at the same time, I have missed out on the joys of life. Cutting off the bottom extreme of emotion/experience means cutting off the top end as well. Great love opens the door to great pain. So in order to love deeply and to live a life of love, it is important to risk and love despite any fears I have. To continually choose life every day rather than simply letting life pass me by.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the topic-hope my ramblings make a bit of sense!

4 comments:

Chrys said...

those were some great thoughts vaness. i totally agree with you that opening up and loving is such a risk, it can be hard to think of losing that.

TonyandKaylen said...

Great thoughts.... when my brother died, people said "man.. that boy lived more in 18 years than most people do in 30. He LIVED his life instead of waiting for it to come to him" He was such a risk taker- nothing was too scary and he wasn't afraid of a thing. He truly lived without reserve or thought of consequence (which often got him in trouble!)
I think that goes along with what you were saying. to truly live, we can't be afraid to LIVE.

Lovella ♥ said...

I appreciate your honesty and insight into your feelings. Your circumstance and history makes you unique and special.

Becky said...

Death is such a heart wrenching subject. The tug of war of lonliness and missing a sole-mate, and the anticipation of the reunion seems never ending. I don't fear death for myself. Its the of knowing someone, and then seeing them leave that is so very difficult. I do hold on to the hope of Christ's power, and eternal life. Its that strength that makes the risk of friendships worth while. It will be one fantastic reunion!