Saturday, September 22, 2007

Stress

This week I have stumbled upon an amazing and revolutionary truth about myself: I am susceptible to stress! Okay, so most of you are probably thinking, well of course, everyone is. The reason why this is such a good realization for me is because I am often in denial about being stressed. I have always claimed that I am completely stress-free. However, this is not true at all and I am coming to realize that I have high levels of stress in my life and rather than denying them, I need to be more proactive in doing something about it! Lately the thing that keeps reiterating in my mind is the need to be still and rest. To stop and enjoy the moment. Generally I am too busy for it and let life pass me by but int he meantime I miss out in the joy of the moment because I am carried off with the intensity and the demands that each moment brings!

This fall I was really excited that I had a lot more free time. Yet, now I'm looking at my schedule and I realize this isn't so true! I am taking five classes at school, tutoring and marking assignment for a statistics class at school, I'm the treasurer in the undergrad psych club (yay for efforts of getting more involved at school!), I am on a worship team at church once a month, singing in choir weekly, am leading a grade nine girls small group with sr. high youth, and am also in a small group of my own. Plus homework and social life. Sigh... But, my challenge for myself is to not be overwhelmed by the things I have to do, but to manage and prioritize my time better and to take moments throughout my day to rest and to breathe. :)

3 comments:

Chrys said...

wow, you sure are busy. There were a few days this summer when I was busier...they're definitely over!

Becky said...

Oh, Vanessa, there are times when busy is good, and there are times when we all need to breath, and be still. I hear about you vicariously through some of the girls at school, and I know you are making a difference in their lives! I just hope you can take care of yourself, so we can all enjoy you longer! You are so right, prioritizing, and balance are the keys to lowering the stress. Do treat yourself to some quiet moments! And remember that not everything has to be perfectly arranged, and planned. God is good at doing that too, and he loves to take over, if we let him. Enjoy blessing others!

Owen and Bonnie said...

Wow, sounds like you got a lot going on. Hopefully as you prioritze your time, you'll be able to find balance between what's important and what's not.

I FINALLY posted 8 random facts about me! yeah, remember you tagged me awhile back?! Happy reading.

Bonnie